Friday, March 19, 2010

Shouldn't Everyone be Rated?

Someone recently reminded me of an old joke that goes like this: What do you call the person that graduated last in their class from Medical School? The Answer: Doctor.

We have a news program in town that goes around and looks at restaurants with particular attention paid to their Health Inspection rating. They point out those establishments that didn’t make the grade and why. I have noticed recently that they also point out those that scored exceptionally high in their inspection. One guy in my office used to always point out which restaurants had the worst score that week, saying, “Don’t go there.”

It seems to make sense to me that after a bad score is reported would be just the time to go there. Isn’t the purpose of an inspection to correct the problems? Do you think the manager, or owner, just says, “Whatever?” So why do we look only at restaurants?

Wouldn’t you like to see a rating on other businesses that are inspected? What other businesses are inspected? I know that Hair Salons/Barber Shops are inspected. Do they fair well? What about meat packing/processing companies? The butcher at the grocery, I bet they have inspections.

We could post numbers outside of the building “Rating this Week: 84.” You could just keep driving down the road until you came to a really high score. I ate at a very popular restaurant many years ago and had a roach crawl across my table. As I got up to pay the bill, I expressed my concern to the owner. He responded politely, “Yeah, they sprayed last night.” Shouldn’t that receive a number outside the building?

If we are really so concerned about ratings shouldn’t we know where our Doctor finished in school?

This blog is for entertainment purposes only and is the opinion of the writer. If any names were used, it was only as a reference point and no harm was intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment